Theatre Fest West Writers Prize
THEATRE FEST WEST WRITERS PRIZE
Salisbury Playhouse is delighted to announce the Theatre Fest West Writers Prize, which will give a South West writer the chance to have their play produced by Salisbury Playhouse. Salisbury Playhouse is looking for script submissions from writers based in, or who have a connection with the South West. Shortlisted writers will receive a day’s research and development at Salisbury Playhouse working on the script with professional actors and a director, and a rehearsed reading of an extract will be performed as part of Theatre Fest West 2017. The writer of the winning script will receive a cash prize of £2,000 and their play will be developed and produced at Salisbury Playhouse as part of the Original Drama programme.
Salisbury Playhouse is committed to producing new work from and about the South West. Through the Original Drama programme, Salisbury Playhouse supports and nurtures talented writers based in the region to bring the unique perspective of the South West to a wider national audience.
How to apply
Please read the submission guidelines and timeline (below) and send the following 4 documents:
- A current CV
- A brief covering letter detailing your connection with the South West
- A synopsis of the play
- The first 20 pages of the play only
Please send to OriginalDrama@salisburyplayhouse.com by 3 OCTOBER 2016 at 9am
Applications which do not include all the above info, or which are submitted after the deadline will NOT be eligible.
- Please send the synopsis and script extract in either a word document or pdf.
- The play must be full length (an hour long or more in playing time).
- The play must be an original, unproduced and an unperformed piece of work (for this reason adaptations are not eligible).
- Scripts must be submitted by individuals and not a third party or agency.
- The writer must be based in the South West, or have a connection with the region.
- The play must be available for production and unattached to any other theatre. The writer of the winning play agrees to work solely with Salisbury Playhouse on the development and performance of the play.
- We also ask that, where possible, the play requires no more than 4 performers and would work in The Salberg (our 149 seat studio space) at Salisbury Playhouse. For a tech spec of The Salberg please click here.
June-October 2016: We will automatically acknowledge receipt of every submission
October 2016: All submissions will be read by a team of readers at Salisbury Playhouse
November 2016: A longlist of submissions will be drawn up. Longlisted applicants will be asked to send the entire script
Applicants who have not been longlisted will be informed
December 2016: Shortlisted applicants will be offered a day’s R&D at Salisbury Playhouse and a rehearsed reading as part of Theatre Fest West in February 2017.
Applicants who have not been shortlisted will receive written feedback on their script.
February 2017: The winning script will be chosen by a panel after watching the rehearsed readings as part of Theatre Fest West. The writer of the winning script will receive a £2,000 cash prize and the script will be produced by Salisbury Playhouse as part of the Original Drama programme.